My lawyer brother Stuart was acutely aware of the Mexican laws that he broke in getting our older brother Jay buried when Jay died in San Blas, Mexico. The broken laws included:
- Burying a 32nd Degree Mason in a Catholic cemetery.
- Violation of Mexican Treasury Regulations.
- Violation of Mexican Custom Regulations.
- Violation of Mexican Immigration Regulations.
- Violation of Mexican Tax Regulations.
- Violation of Mexican Health & Safety Regulations.
- Fleeing from Justice.
He described part of this saga in a February 26, 1968 letter to Jay’s wife and son who were living in France at the time. The story starts slow but with very little embellishment some of it could serve as an episode in a adventure-movie script. The letter follows, with a few personal parts meant for Jay’s wife and son excluded (insurance details, etc.) Thanks to my niece Patricia for sending me a copy of this letter.